My Israeli-born friend, Ofer Raveh, assures me that Tu B’Shevat is celebrated and important in the Jewish state. “Trees are planted everywhere,” he told me. “And
Women’s March Was About Moving Forward
Jan. 21 was a wonderful example of women and men marching peacefully with great dignity so their voices might be heard.
Tu B’Shevat, the New Year of the Trees, is the time of year in the Mediterranean region when the trees are just starting their early bloom. Called Las Frutas
Every year before Chanukah rolls around in Israel, everyone gets very excited.
- November 25, 2015 Chanukah books: Curl up with a good
The tradition of eating latkes during Chanukah is only half the story.
- November 25, 2015 Chanukah books: Curl up with a good read
- November 24,
A couple of years ago, just before Chanukah, I heard Akasha Richmond on KCRW describing how her kitchen manager had over-ordered Brussels sprouts (to the tune of
I never had a latke until I moved to the United States 24 years ago.
- November 24, 2015 Chanukah gift guide 2015
- November 24, 2015 How to make a
Celebrated close together, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are known as the High Holy Days, but each offers its own special food customs.
Jewish delis are noisy, crude eating places that turned the idea of the restaurant on its head.
- November 23, 2015 #myLAcommute I really enjoy
In late autumn, new-crop olives abound.
- November 20, 2015 For Chanukah, breakfast latkes two ways
- August 27, 2015 Cooking 101: A practical